Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Camelot '08

  I was , at one point in my life, a little bit obsessed with JFK, and thats sort of like saying the Titanic had a little bit of a hole, or Birttany is a little bit trashy. I could tell you where he was and what he was doing , pretty much , on any given day of his life. He had to have been the first Americans to have his entire life so well documented. Not just him either, but Joe, Kathleen ( my favorite) Bobby, et all ( not so much Teddy, but he was soooo young). Way before the 1960 election the Kennedys were rock stars onto them selves. To this day i am thankful that there were not cell phone cameras around when i used to , at the drop of any hat, break into " If Ever I Should Leave You" (that chubby Opera singing boy..)
I read everything, and there was LOTS written. Joe , Sr. was a force in the United States the like of which has not been seen since. I say all this , just so the casual reader will understand that I am not a Johnny come lately to the Camelot bandwagon. So the phrases that were used yesterday, to DARE (?) say " THE TORCH HAS BEEN PASSED"!?!?  Has it, is it, can it be?  That generation EARED that torch,they grew up in the shadow of the Great Depression, they won World War Two, they fought and died all over the world, and had vowed to NOT do it again. ummm, Senator Obama's , and my, generation, got high score at Frogger. I am not, well, i sort of am, putting on my More-Kennedy-than-Thou hat, I am just saying , that to some people, the lives and words of JFK , and his generation, the unique experiences that they went through, were , just that: Unique. 
I have cringed at the constant tossing around of the word HOPE, ( which i do have to figure out why, cause i was drooling 16 years ago over a place called hope) but, JFK did offer the world a new vision of hope, tempered in war and hard times. I do not see that in Barak Obama, he has neither the Gravitas, or the Maturity to uphold such a mantle. I do HOPE that I can have my mind changed on this.

No comments: