Saturday, May 16, 2015

THIS IS THE END .


It is Mad Men's final bow tomorrow night.  What started eight years ago, winding it's way through a misguided feud between the shows creates and the AMC network , missing entire years on tv. Encompassing the entire 1960's in America - the show lived up to that turbulent decade.

I think we need to start this by saying , I don't think folks are going to get what they want out of tonight, at all. Matthew Wiener is not going to wrap anything up in a nice bow. I think beloved characters have made their swan songs.



How could the powers that be at the show top this image of Peggy owning the halls at the new firm ?


Betty in her doomed perfect beauty headed up, towards the light.


Pete and Trudy - the undisputed king and queen of Wichita or where ever it was they were being banished off to to rule

AMC has been marathoning the entire run of the show since Wednesday - I started watching, and it was just the oddest feeling I have really ever had from a TV show. Watching Betty and Don be all happily " happily" married up in Rye was .. almost real life painful for me. I keep seeing everything they did as mass forshadowing . The original Sterling Cooper seemed so quaint. I swear Weiner and crew knew they were going to be eight years in real time, 11 on the show in and KNEW they were going to do this to us . I stopped the binge and have just been dropping in every now and again. The Birmingham BFF told me that Zou Bisou Bisou came on at like three in the morning - I just could not have dealt with that ..




I think tonight is going to be all about Don , if he is even still Don anymore. So many names to chose from and he is free from them all . Shucked clean of every lie and every tie to either Don or Dick Whitman, he is only 42 years old . Now, a millionaire hobo waiting for the Greyhound to points unknown may be fun for him, but it would not really make all that good of tv - so something will have to give.

He can't go back to McCann Erickson - at least we dont think he can - that boat has sailed ( plane has flown ) and he has a non compete - but that could be scrapped if he gives up the millions - WHO KNOWS. I thought i was completely in believable character to believe him just keep on running - got in some heated discussions on the internet over this happening. No, the general consensus seems to be that we will step up for his kids once Betty is gone. I think that their lovely stepfather would be a much better choice - but seems I am in the minority on that one.

Countdown is on - depending on how I am feeling Ill come back here post show - I'm sure Ill watch it twice .

All sorts of lists around this week about the show , here are a couple.




and






No comments: