Wednesday, September 5, 2012

DAY ONE


Ok... gush:

You know this. I have seen A LOT of political speeches - it is pretty much what I am. I am not going out on a limb here to say, Our First Lady's speech tonight moved me like I have not been moved since " I still believe in a place call hope ". Long timers know what praise this is from me This includes every speech , every wonderful speech made by her husband.

Here is the entire thing, watch sometime, all of it, but for right now, just watch starting at 21:47.

" If farmers and blacksmiths could win independence from an empire…if immigrants could leave behind everything they knew for a better life on our shores…if women could be dragged to jail for seeking the vote…if a generation could defeat a depression, and define greatness for all time…if a young preacher could lift us to the mountaintop with his righteous dream…and if proud Americans can be who they are and boldly stand at the altar with who they love…then surely, surely we can give everyone in this country a fair chance at that great American Dream. "

"Gay Americans and the American Dream".... from the First Lady of the United States AT her convention - this is so ground breaking, so historic - so  soul affirming, that I was just a puddle. Being at last , part of the discussion, being put up front in MY fight for equality, being at last - a citizen. I was a massive puddle of a hot mess - all I could do was an OH MY GOD ! on facebook. ( Which I later found out was Rachel Maddow's exact reaction as well..)

"Stunning, brilliant, moving, passionate and right. Flawless. That was a speech a presidential nominee would be proud to have given. The best speech of the conventions so far. There was an emotional arc and steel to this that was as suffused with patriotism as it was with love. Yes, I'm gushing. But gushing is what I feel. And this is live-blogging. So sue me. I've never heard a speech from a First Lady anywhere close to this." said Andrew Sullivan.
The President and his girls watch the First Lady's speech

There for a while , I half way expected a disco ball to come out of the ceiling tonight, EVERYONE was PRO PRO gay - and some of the bumper music was as well! TWO out GLBT Americans addressed the Convention , S.E.I.U. President Mary Kay Henry and Colorado Congressman Jarad Polis.
I am tired, waaaay over emotional - we will get to the dress ( which I loved ) in the morning.
Really, I do not think it would have been possible for a better start tonight....

No comments: