Sunday, December 16, 2012

KNOW YOUR VEGETABLES

Organic Rainbow Swiss Chard

 I can take or leave the organic . I grew up in the 70's I'm sure my innards are a toxic waste dump. But, there are some veggies that my Wegmans only carries in the organic section. Which is just massive , they have everything.

These are so beautiful - 2.29, perfect for us, larger family use two bunches. Clean just like you would a collard, except here you eat the stem. Do cut off the brown very tip of each stalk.
 As with most everything, a little olive oil and a sliced onion for about 10 or so min, get it nice and sweet and tender- slice up one garlic clove, not too much, add it for about a min, then add your stalks. Toss around and cook for a while, couple of minutes, then add just a bit of water... 1/8th of a cup, really not much.
 Wash and chop the greens -
 Toss around and cook for a while, couple of minutes, then add just a bit of water... 1/8th of a cup, really not much
 Then add your still wettish greens, and you only flash cook these, like cooking escarole,just heat and wilt. NOW season with salt and pepper.
Cook down for just a minute - don't over cook them , no reason too. I always finish off with some acid of some sort, today was lime juice, but any good flavored vinegar will do, just a little bit teaspoonish... 
 And Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks ands sounds absolutely scrumptiuos! Thanks for the instructions.

b said...

This makes me swoon. I almost stopped and stole a bunch growing at an apartment complex today.