Saturday, December 27, 2014

Chicken Soup for the.....



Boxing Day, Winder Ga : Still fighting my cold and my Mother had come down with something similar - Neil and Koda the only healthy two in the house. Lots of left overs but this day called for some of my magic chicken soup - exactly what the doctor and every Jewish mother on the planet called for. I am on my way to the store to get a chicken, load of ginger and garlic, some chilies - everything we needed when my mother told me that she " had a fantastic chicken soup recipe and had every thing there, no need to go out to the store " . OK.

I forgot to write down or take a photo of the recipe, so this is from memory, I will get the real thing and pass on to you later.

Take 2 boneless chicken skinless chicken breasts and boil in some water with a few stalks of celery - cook well, then just turn off and let sit for a good long while, then take chicken out, shred with forks and strain liquid.

  • In cooking pot, sweat in a  little oil one med onion and one largish carrot chopped


  • 2 quarts chicken broth ( I just used the strained cooking liquid, nothing else )
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 box instant wild rice mix ( remove the season packet, you don't need that , cook as directed, just leave out spices )
  • 2t salt
  • 2T ground sage
  • 1 T curry powder
  • 4 oz velveeta cheese
  • 2 cups half and half
Just add everything to the veggies and heat through. No, it was not the healthy brew that I tend to make but it was VERY good and I do think it made me feel better!

No comments: