Saturday, February 20, 2016

Movie Day ( Friday ) updated



I really enjoyed this movie.. I am happy I saw it. Neil did not care for it really at all, so a split decision. I really knew nothing about it other that Charlotte Rampling was nominated for a BEST ACRESS award and we do try and see them all.  ( I need to update my list.)
It was not until the final credits that I saw it was an Andrew Haigh film - and everything sort of clicked. He also made the film WEEKEND , which again, I loved and Neil, not so much.

I watched an interview with Mr Haigh where he said this was a sequel to Weekend- and it totally makes since, even thought they could not be more different stories. His film style is so unique. Super realism.. a two camera shot, you are living it with the actors, not bouncing around in the editing room. Clean and straight forward.. Just like his other film ( he has only made the two ) a linear story, a few days one at the very start of what could be a  lifetime, the other 45 years into that lifetime.

I also loved as much as any part of it showing mature characters as full fledged humans, not cartoons, not reacting to kids or grandkids but as fully realized people, with full interior and exterior lives. So very rare.


No comments: