Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Movie Day

The drums are beating loudly for this one. 


Start off with I would not have seen this movie were in not up for best picture, and with very few exceptions I do try and see everything nominated. A Clint Eastwood film - not high on my list of directors I just have to see, that and my war movies begin and end with MRS MINIVER. But, we are  huge Bradley Cooper fans - and it was very cold today.

Bradley is very good with what he is given to work with, but to me - and just my opinion it was a very flawed film, one which I would not have put on the best picture list. I get that it is a character study of one man, Chris Kyle, and not a " war movie " per se and certainly not a movie about the Bush years and Americas never ending wars. It is reduced to a single shade of black and white - with Mr Kyle all but becoming a cartoon super hero. We see 15 seconds of the twin towers falling and then we are off in Iraq killing " savages ", which I think all middle eastern men are in this movie.

I had to keep telling myself that it was ONLY about him , that there was no other war going on . It made a zillion dollars opening weekend , and is really striking a cord with lots of folks, I just was not one of them ( nor did you really expect me to be ) Neil liked it more than I did, and I had a better appreciation of it when I came home and read and watched a little about the real Chris Kyle, there was not a whole lot of grey with the real guy either.

No comments: