Tuesday, April 12, 2016

JACKIE ROBINSON



I hope you all got to watch this on PBS over the last two night, another amazing job by Ken Burns of one of my heroes. I leaned so much in this film, things that I did not know about Jackie Robinson. I do wish that Burns would have giving a tip of his hat to the fact that there are parts of this film that were already in his epic mini series BASEBALL. Not that it is that big of a deal, it is just that some of the guys from , the great Buck O'Neil have died since the making of BASEBALL.  Just a quibble from what really is a great documentary. It goes into the work that Mr Robinson did post baseball for the civil rights movement of the early 60's as well.

I had an obsession a couple of years ago with the " New York-ness " of baseball post WWII. I just could not read enough about the ten year period that culminated with Robinson and his Dodgers winning it all ( against the hated Yankees ) in the classic 1955 series.
The Yankees, The Giants and The Dodgers. Ebbets Field, The Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium- all a train ride apart, all different little universes , just one of my little escape periods of time.

Check your local PBS station online to watch if you missed it broadcast.

No comments: