Monday, March 31, 2008

28 years and counting.



In the past, I have been a snob about this. I would make up my own rules in my head. At one point thinking the boys really should pack it in, rather than risk some sort of "oldies band" status, I declared that they should have one last four man concert, in Atlanta/Athens AND the only way you could attend was to prove you were at one ( or both) of the free Legion Field shows -from what ever beer soaked early 80's year the shows were.  I got over it. 
Here is the story from yesterdays NYT, all about how this is not a come-back, and how magical and mystical Athens is. " the wuxtry is STILL there!". Athens is always this magnolia laced punk rock town to New Yorkers.
 I love the fact that they got 80 million bucks in 1996," the last of the mega-deals".  Good for them for getting on that band wagon . A great big OUCH, though,  to the thought that REM is " your dads band" , even if it is true.
I am the rare fan that bought and LOVED the last three "records" { UP, REVEAL and AROUND THE SUN, for those who stopped at AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE }, and Ill download Accelerate the first chance I get.  Damn, 28 years- some of you people are getting old.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Have you seen Michael Stipe with that beard? Woof.