Sunday, May 18, 2008

I hate change.

Barnett's News Stand in Downtown Athens , Ga. closed today. Wow, trust me on this one, if that place could talk. I'm old enough to remember when there was a VARSTIY next door to it.
Athens doesn't exist  in 2008, It just doesn't:
  • its 1978 and I'm in Lucy Landress' bright orange mg midget headed to Hu Nans ( cause they would serve ANYONE a mai tai)
  • its 1979 and Scott Sullivan in throwing up at Abbotts pizza ( they too would serve ANYONE)
  • its 1980 and I'm worried about my pocket starch breaking and wondering " why-o-why don't Terry luv me like I LUV him"
  • its 1983 and REM is in Legion Field
  • its 1984 and I'm yelling as Susan, "the game has ALREADY STARTED! YOUR HAIR IS FINE"
  • its 1985 and Mrs. Faulkner is wondering just how many boys ARE going to come down for breakfast
Its 2008 in Mendon.... but not in Athens, Ga.....


1 comment:

Gordon Lamb said...

Athens doesn't exist in 2008, It just doesn't

I understand what you mean, but Athens is still here. Every magically thing we found when we were 19 years old is here in different form to be found by today's 19 year olds.