Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday, Sunday

( red )
Neil is doing Morning Prayer at St. John's this morning. This is the first reading today:
Acts 4:32 (NRSV) Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common. 33 With great power the apostles gave their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. 34 There was not a needy person among them, for as many as owned lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold. 35 They laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need.


Alrighty then.

Last week JMG posted a video of right wing darling  Christianist David Barton yammering on and on about how parts of the U.S. Constitution were lifted verbatim from the Bible. I am neither a Biblical or Constitutional scholar - so we will just give this to Mr. Barton. But, Dick - what then, are you going to do with the fact that Marx lifted his "From each according to his ability , to each according to his need" [ in the original German : "Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen!".]  RIGHT THERE from Acts 4:32 ???
I am guessing that the hard core religious right just skips right over this part of the B-i-b-l-e.
sidebar

I say it ALL THE TIME, that Christianity is a HARD complex religion - ODDLY bastardized in this country to be some sort of "God wants me to be rich and live in a great big house so that I can give my church lots of money and get my pastor a G-V". 
Y'all know I have a whole lot of time on my hands to just ruminate on complex things AND who is sleeping with who and what they were wearing before they got down to it - and Easter week, Andrew Sullivan went down this hard core k-hole of Francis of Assisi mania , which led me to a lot of further reading on the man,whom I knew so little about, that I called him Thomas of Assisi. He was more than a guy who posed for garden statuary.
 I tend to go overboard on these topics when i drift into them ( see the great SPONG turrets obsession of a few years ago ) - at David's party someone asked me an honest question about Dahn or Neil and church or  something, and the poor thing got a little tirade on Franciscan doctrine ( of which I know next to NOTHING )... bad Kyle.




No comments: