Wednesday, August 14, 2013

New York , New York - A Hellava Town....

THE LONGEST POST IN K+B HISTORY!

Ok - still with the retro postings!

We left Pompanuck on Saturday afternoon and took windy back roads to our good friends lovely place in the often lived in Brookfield, Connecticut.
Her place is just so lovely I could just kick myself for not taking more pics -
Got up Sunday and headed out to the Metro North train station -
I thought missing my train by like five minutes - BUT, it was a Yankees game and they run all sorts of special trains to get the suburban folk down to the Bronx - so piece of cake to get down to
GRAND CENTRAL STATION!
Which is just a space that I have always loved.
Caught the 4 uptown! - Next stop scenic downtown Brooklyn and the NYCBFF
Harry!

being us, first stop FOOD
Have no idea where we were , but this is a BEET BURGER 
That was just yummy - I asked how it was made, cause it was just that good and unusual, exactly what it said a burger made of beets! Was made with pureed and chunky beets w/Harissa and Cumin - something I will look into making, and a bloody.
Home that night to just hang out with Trixie -Harry ordered Thai food for us - 
Harry's very close personal pal and neighbor Michele Williams house!





Breakfast at Norma's
in the 
ParkerMeridien Hotel
  • Harry had a coupon - a groupon sort of thing - and it was restaurant week! which means all sorts of special deals all over town - he said this place had massive portions of food, and he was not kidding, and just a lovely very grown up New Yorky sort of place, I just loved it
  • This is what you sit down too! Home made jams and jellys and a BIG basket of sweet breads and cakes / muffins etc -
  • One Sweet , one savory - Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Waffle for breakfast on a Monday ? WHY NOT ?!?
  • A breakfast quesidilla that must have had close to a dozen eggs in it - was very yummy- after all that , as part of the pre-fix, you got a jumbo fruit smoothie
  • The waiter called us fat - really , well, his actual quote was , as he sat down the milkshakes smoothies was " well that ought to do it...."It really was just a wonderful fun funny time! 


Then we walked off our massive brunch on our way to the MET for the next to last day of:


So nice to at last, get to see one of these MET Costume Institute exhibits  - some really exciting pieces, some not so much - a good narrative of the fashions, but nothing of the history of the hows and whys - Sure, cover me in Vivienne and Malcolm - which they did, but a LITTLE bit of back ground as to where it all came from,would have been nice. My take on the GALA for the opening of the exhibit 

You get dropped out of the exhibit space into the 20th
Century room, and its top 40 of art. This is Jackson Pollocks
#28, 1950 - it just knocks you out when you turn the corner

Me and my good pal Mark Rothko
My latest obsession Bridget Riley was right there on the walls with all the big boys!!!  Man, I loved seeing this in real life. Harry could not look - what with the seizures and all...
WHO KNEW the MET closed so early, I snapped this pic for Dr.Tinkler as we were being shooed towards the door
Hung out on the steps of the place , like everyone does
then onto a BUS!  I felt like such a local!

Took that bus to the Circle in the Square theater for a rare Monday night Broadway show! What a treat! The Shlomo Carlebach Story! 

Yeah, me either. I think I liked it more than Harry did, but I see nothing and he sees EVERYTHING, so it really was a treat for me. Hard to explain really - what it was. Shlomo Carlebach was a very orthodox rabbi whose family escaped the Nazi's came to America and all sorts of things happened.
You have NEVER seen a more excited audience at a show - nor a more kosher one.. yeah, I was way way ( way ) in the minority , even Harry was feeling a little left out! But again, I very much enjoyed it!
Yes, I took a picture of a beautiful blond / blue young man in a kippah.

Official link to the show
Harry could not get a bacon cheese burger fast enough -
Even went as far as mac-n-cheese with 
pork rinds
On the way home, cutest couple in the subway!
Got a good nights sleep and spent time with
TRIXIE THE WONDER DOG

Got back to Grand Central , having not looked at any schedule at all to find my train waiting and ready to go with no real wait at all.

I had such a fantastic FAST time with my pal, many many thanks to Harry for a wonderful few days!

No comments: