Thursday, September 4, 2014

Fan Boy


With all the meshugas in the world the last few days, I chose the ostrich route and just buried my head in the sand. Actually I buried my head in a whole lot of Jane Austin, which seemed the PERFECT remedy to the world crumbling around us.

Today's news explosion sort of brought me out of it - so much piling on that you sort of had to deal with it.

RIP
JOAN RIVERS

Yes, I am a middle age gay man, THE Joan Rivers wheelhouse, but I was a fan. A big one. The fashion and the humor . I watched Fashion Police, the reality show and the youtube show - that was really more about her putting on such a great face of the so not famous folk in bed with her... When driving around and hit on the QVC diggs , I would watch that. I found out tonight that she had been with QVC for 24 years, generating well over ONE BILLION dollars... let that sink in.

The 2010 documentary A PIECE OF WORK is on Netflix, if you have never seen it . As well as a ton of old clips on youtube - just a real time, real life history of the American entertainment business.

It is a very sad thing for all of her family and friends - and fans for sure. She seemed like such a powerhouse and had been around for so long, that it seemed as if she would go on for ever. But lets look at this, you are 81 years old, in good health, at the top of your game, your calendar is full, you are very relevant - and you go out fast and painless - that is a blessing. Yes, everyone wanted more time with her - but I am sure this is the way she wanted to exit the stage.

If you have never seen Joan Rivers NYC apt/condo HERE - go and enjoy ( and you can see where some of the QVC Billion went ...)

A touch tribute from Martha today, to a fellow BARNARD grad - and from of all people HERSCHEL WALKER .

No comments: