Monday, September 8, 2014

From Facebook with Love

This is a facebook post that I wrote on here first, ( ALL HAIL SPELL CHECK ! ) and I am just going to leave it.

The Book thing.
As a rule I don't do these facebook wildfires - I just have to trust that the universe won't hate me for NOT forwarding said post in 10 min. ( I am old enough to remember chain letters! ) Also every one's choices were just so high falootin' that I just could not keep up, but then my good pal Dan Watts was honest in his choices and I had read everything on his list unlike all the others so I just decided to do it.

The challenge is to list 10 books that have stayed with you in some way: Don't take more than a few minutes and do not think too hard. They do not have to be the "right" books or great works of literature, just ones that have affected you in some way. Tag 10 friends including me so I can see your list.In no particular order:

I won't be tagging anyone other than Jodi Brown who tagged me....


  1. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
  2. Nine Stories / Franny and Zooey / Raise High the Roof Bean , Carpenters and Seymour : an introduction  also the totally illegal bootleg short story combo pack that B.Day stole from somewhere years and years ago, some of those stories are so hard to find , The Long Debut of Lois Taggett is a life changer. - all J.D. Salinger
  3. Shoeless Joe - Ray Kinsella  ( sort of a theme so far .....)
  4. The World According to Garp / The Hotel New Hampshire - John Irving ( Yes, I like both of these MUCH better than Owen Meany - Garp for so many reasons and come on HNH for " sorrow floats " and " Keep passing the open windows ". )
  5. The Chosen / The Promise - Chaim Potok - ( come on Jews playing baseball..... )
  6. The Lords of Discipline - Pat Conroy
  7. This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgereld ( more so than Gatsby - " there are no second acts in American lives ") and a bonus pick Zelda - Nancy Milford - heartbreakingly sad and laugh out loud funny ( see : Fountain at the Plaza Hotel )
  8. Here I Stand and A New Christianity for a New World  - John Shelby Spong ( really anything he has ever written, put me into the two year phase of my life I call the Spong Tourette years. Made me a much better person )
  9. The Making of England 55 B.C. to 1399 - C. Warren Hollister ( yes, it is a text book - it's a long story )
  10. Entertaining - Martha Stewart. ( the first one, started it all ....)



No comments: