Thursday, March 17, 2016

everything old


THE ANTI PACKAGING MOVEMENT


I am so weird. I just have this thing about buying ingredients for cooking that I need a tiny bit of. We are not talking hardly any money - really. But, I needed to have coconut extract for the pie I made the other day. On sale : 2.34, and still I balked. I needed like a half a teaspoon - and now I will have my two dollar and thirty four cent bottle of coconut extract for the next ten years. ( unless it makes curries taste a little more coconuty .. Ill have to figure that one out.

Now tonight I read this article about a stupidly hipster store in NYC that has gone ZERO packaging - old old old school - taking your bottles of what ever with you to a place, and buying exactly how much you need of that thing. I LOVE IT.

I already buy a lot of bulk items at Wegmans - grains, dried fruit, etc , they have a very extensive bulk area - but I would love it it could go further . Im sure it is not practical but I would love to be able to buy a cup or table spoon of something. Of course that does not take into case my puncheon for messing up any baking that I do try... but still  I think this is a concept who's time has come back.


No comments: