Monday, March 7, 2016

DOWNTON DINNER


RULE BRITANNIA
We could not just have a normal supper before watching the last ever DOWNTON ABBY. Curry was out as of now ( Neil can't have spicy ) so a good old fashion Roast Beef it was!

  • ROAST BEEF w/ horseradish sauce
  • YORKSHIRE PUDDING
  • MASHED POTATOES
  • MUSHY PEAS
  • ROASTED PARSNIPS AND CARROTS

I had never made YORKSHIRE PUDDING before, really never had it other than the pop over rolls in the Zodiac Room at Neiman Marcus. Neil grew up with it . It is not at all that hard to make and does look impressive when it comes out of the oven.
THIS is the recipe that I chose, it has you making the batter early and letting it sit, from as far as I can tell they are all pretty much the same. 



Dessert was QUEEN OF PUDDINGS. The NYT ran a story on " foods to eat during the last Downton " this was one of them. I had never heard of it, but it looked pretty easy and it a very good technique to know . HERE is the NYT recipe, I can not find the original story, but when I do I will link to it.
 It is not an American dessert, it is not really sweet at all - the only sweetness coming from the jam. The recipe calls for Apricot , again not all that sweet. But you could use anything at all. Here is a video of Mary Berry making the same pudding with a home made quick jam. Either way do put in the fridge when done - I did not, and this morning, after a night in the fridge, it was better.





No comments: