Sunday, October 19, 2008

all Mavericky on yer' ass....


“I feel like I’m at home,” Ms. Palin said, looking out at a boisterous crowd of about 6,000. “I see the Carhartts and the steel-toed boots,” she said, the first reference being to a clothing brand favored by construction workers and the burly types who make up much of the “Sarah Dude” population.....In that case, Governor Palin would love most Leather Bars on any given Saturday night.
" The Dudes love Sarah!" . So say's the NYT today.
At last , butch gun lovin',beer drinkin',  Nascar watchin' America has its candidate, at least for two more weeks. At long last a person running for National office does not have to butch down to the public, they can be as rowdy and testosterone filled as they want to be, and the crowds love it. It just took a woman to have the cojones to do it.
I find this fascinating. I grew up with these guys. Men who have never once watched Meet the Press , and are not at all sure who George Stephanopoulos is. Not that they are , on whole, stupid, just guys who view the world from a totally different place. "Name a newspaper that you read" asked Katie Couric....... these guys don't read newspapers either. A match made in Heaven. All the so called smart conservatives are rats leaving the ship in droves, but the dudes have no idea who Peggy Noonan is, and for them the NRO is as far away from them as the moon.
Sarah Palin as the MAD MEN candidate! It's fine to call her hot! It's fine to think she is " a babe!" These guys ( and there are some women) hate Senator Hillary Clinton, on 3000 levels, but for the most part this stems from TOTALLY not understanding her. Sarah is NOT from the feminist 60's, all Wellesley ( the dudes have NO IDEA what this is.. they just know its NOT them..) and ball snipping. She is one of them... wet t-shirts in the white house and all. Like I said, I grew up with these guys.... and am DAMN happy that there are not enough of them to elect this Yeti to the White House. So, no dipping at Cabinet meetings....

1 comment:

b said...

I don't even have to say it, do I? It's TV's fault. We can date anti-intellectualism precisely to the debut of "Friends," non? Stupid TV, stupid people who resent people who are smarter than them.

Personally, I want people smarter than me running things.

On the other hand, the guys ogling Palin' make me really mad. Have you seen the "I want to be Sarah's intern" bumberstickers?