Friday, October 31, 2008

F•O•U•R





The weekend before.
I am a mess, just worked myself into a slight frenzy. Maybe I am just more tuned in this election cycle, but that is pretty hard to believe, I've always been over the top obsessed with politics. ( the only kid in Winder-Barrow Elementary School staying up late to watch the Watergate Hearings - what WILL Mo Dean wear tonight??).
This year , more than any that I can recall is clearly about going forward or looking backward. Could be generational, there have never been this much of an age gap between the candidates, but the choice is just so clear to me.
It is looking good for MY side, Senator McCain is having to spend money in Arizona, his home state, what is up with that? New voter registration is off the charts in Pennsylvania and Ohio, but that falls back on the eternal question as to whether the damn kids ( CRAIG!) will make it to the polls on Tuesday. - [ what is up with this? I walked away from the kegger for ALL THREE of the Presidential Elections that went on while I was an undergrad....] The Clinton's and Gore's are all over Florida. The BIG MO is very much behind The Obama Campaign.
Are we as a country going to go towards the hope of change that Senator Obama represents or the same old, same old Republican trickle down ways of McCain/Bush. This can be a CHANGE Election, the cycle that has existed , pretty much since Carter-Reagan can end. We can move beyond the politics of blame and move into an era of GROWN UP politicians , who understand that there is real work to be done.
We are one country, and I think my side remembers that more than the flag waving-Bible thumping side does. You may hate me because I am a liberal Democrat, you may dislike me for being one of those that bleeds red and black ( if you bleed blue and orange!) , for being one of those obnoxious types that puts College Football before all else on sunny fall afternoons. You can hate me for being married to a man, for not going to the same church as you, for not raking my leaves up on time, for not ALWAYS picking up my doggie mess. Gosh, there are just LOTS of reasons that you can dislike me, but you have to respect my rights. We are all Americans. One nation and all of that. This to me is what Senator Barack Obama is trying so hard to get across. We don't have to keep fighting the wars that were started in the 1960's . It is not AMERICA: love it or leave it. It is AMERICA: roll up your sleeves and get to work.
Four days.....

No comments: