Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oscar! Oscar!! Oscar!!!


THE MOVIES
in order
  1. MIDNIGHT IN PARIS - My favorite movie of the year. We saw it so long ago, and have seen so many in the last couple of weeks, that I need to go and rent it again. It is in the faux Redbox across the street. But, come on, it had Scott and Zelda. Red meat to us here at the k+b. ( 148 million world wide )
  2. THE ARTIST- I just loved it, and it was a very close decision as to which would be at #1. The tagline for the movie is " It's what you go to the movies for " and it so is. Yes, a silent film can be seen as gimmicky, but I didn't think so. Happy ending with cute dog.... ( 33 million world wide, but just went into wide release )
  3. MONEYBALL - Brad v George this year, and Brad just ever so slimly eeked out the win. Baseball v rich folk family drama. ( 106 million world wide )
  4. THE DESCENDANTS _ OK, you have to have the willing suspension of belief that a woman would bed hop with George Clooney at home. Very good supporting cast. I enjoyed this movie. ( 61 million world wide )
  5. THE HELP- Somehow I avoided this bandwagon, I just did not like this movie as so so much as the rest of my facebook world did. Too shallow, too cartoony ( 205 million world wide,only 35 million  of that foreign ). 
  6. THE TREE OF LIFE- " well yes, but is it art  ? ". The big bang , some dinosaurs and life in baby boomer Texas. Then Sean Penn walks on a rocky beach... drugs would really help this one. ( 54 million world wide, only 13 million domestic )
  7. HUGO - sigh. We just saw this today, as it got the most nominations this morning. Wow, what a HUGE disappointment. Like I do with every movie, I come home and dive into Rottentomatoes and read tons about a movie, the reverse of most folks, and I just had to wonder were we seeing the same movie ? I love film more than most. TMC is in my top five on the tv dial, and this supposed homage to .... true vintage cinema ? fell so flat with me. Listen, I teared up at some goofy preview of these whales stuck in some ice in Alaska, I am an emotional movie goer, and was just never brought into it. The 3-d was a waste... the kids got on my nerves and it was sooo to long , the first hour lost me completely. Just sort of a mess that the critics just LOVE to pieces. I really did not like The Tree of Life, but ranked it above Hugo, because it could have, and I wanted it to be SO much better. ( 83 million world wide )
  8. WAR HORSE - you know I am afraid an animal gets hurt in this one. 
  9. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - wait to rent it.

No comments: