Thursday, January 12, 2012

son of PAINT UPDATE

ummmm, fail.
 The whole point of this was , change is good. My kitchen and sort of keeping room type thing has been this bright yellow ( with a bright aqua celling, - yes, really ) for a long time now. New year - new paint!
So, I had this image of going RED with Khaki! Sounds easy, right? This was my first attempt, SAFFRON and BASKETRY. Looked red and khaki in the Home Depot, looked burnt orange and grey on my wall  ( BUT I do need to say, it has dried to a pretty close to khaki ) I knew that a bloomed saffron tread was this perfect orangy - well, SAFFRON color... it was just the odd lights in the store.
 The problem is I have the color red in my head . The exact color would be a new pair of bright red wide wale cords that have been washed four times... that is the exact red that I want, along with the exact tint of a pair of DUCKHEAD khakis, made in Winder in 1982. I want my room to be the color of pants from my past, and am having a hard time doing it.  I went with the first one of these today, Geranium. The others are firecracker, Maine Lobster and California Poppy. I am thinking I am going to try Maine Lobster on my wall before I make the big decision.
 This is today on the left, yesterday on the right
The darker of the khakis is TOFFEE BAR, it is way to dark, but the Geranium is growing on me , as is the basketry.  MUCH more to come, miles to go before we sleep.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kyle, I have a color on my kitchen/dining room ceiling that would probably work with your original red color and maybe others as well - it's a Glidden color called "spiced vinegar." I'm not sure if they still make it but if not, it's very close to Benjamin Moore's "Monroe Bisque" which is a light khaki color. Reds are hard to get right, but not as hard as yellows, and khaki/tan colors are almost as hard as yellow to get right just because they have so many shade variations that can take them into green, pink, etc. Both of the colors above are free of green/pink tints which make them a bit easier to use with other colors.

Good luck!

b said...

Seeing these on top of the yellow is affecting how they read, too.

I've never gone down the red road, but I have some most excellent khakis if you want them.

And should you ever enter de Crawford-Hougton's blue period...