Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Throw me something , Mister....

The big issue of the day!  ( at least until the GLEE came on ) was :
TOMATOES IN GUMBO ,
YEA or NAY ?
I have always put canned tomatoes in, what I call, Gumbo. I also most time mix shrimp, chicken and sausage, as well. Which someone in New Orleans once told me was an out right sin. Gumbo's, and their starting roux's are either for seafood or other, not both. 
So, Fat Tuesday, I'm going old school...
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
  • skinless boneless chicken thighs
  • smoked sausage ( sure, if you live some place with good andouille/boudin, go for it. I was shopping in Honeoye Falls, NY.....)
  • Trinity
  • garlic/jalapeno/ spring onion ( I totally forgot parsley, and was not going back to the store... I used celery tops)
  • frozen okra, which is not in the photo... 
  • cumin, oregano,red pepper flakes
  • chicken stock
  • four tiny seeded chopped tomatoes.. I am weak

Brown your sausage and chicken in a nice heavy pot AND THEM make your roux with all the yummy carmel brown bits in the bottom of the pan..... 
F. S. HS.
Okra
your meat is browned, your roux is like 20 min in, THEN add your trinity, stirstirstir.. let it go for 10/15 min.. then add stock, and let go, again.. till nice and thick.
bubbling away, add okra, tomatoes, garlic, lots of chopped parsley ( celery tops) and just let cook....I hit it with some lemon zest towards the end, just for some brightness. There is rice in that yellow pot.. Brown, should had been nice fluffy white, I had brown....

Laissez les bons temps rouler 

No comments: