Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Iconic Howard's Rock Defaced!

( just for the record - I have an iron clad alibi )

 That was then

This is now.

Let's start off this story with a little preface , we will call it :
Young Kyle
 and the good full squadron of UGA's finest pretend policemen

Back in pre-historic times, I , for reasons I still do not fully understand, decided late late one Friday night in the fall of 1980, that I was going out the the middle of Sanford Stadium. Smack dab in the middle of the Field, 50 yard line - was going to do a little dance or something -Really, don't remember. Getting in was easy - the gates were chained, but they pulled open wide enough for someone who was a tad limber with drink to squeeze through - walked around - down the South side steps, over the hedges and out onto the holy grass itself! 
Where upon the place lit up- brighter than day, with flashing lights and sirens - The full DROP TO YOUR KNEES, or some such - " but ,I was just coming to do a little dance " or what ever did not get me much symphony AND this was back in the day when your hard copy student ID and fees card were turned over to some DTD for block seating - so I was alien, at best . I think they just ended up calling my dorm room - or something just as easy and let me go - I'm sure to wait a few min and do it all over again. Yes, it was a MUCH more forgiving world 300 years ago....
NOW , I'm telling yall this story, just to wonder why on earth that ALL these years and technological advances later , How exactly this happened ?!?

From TIGERNET.COM via Chip : Clemson, SC—Howard’s Rock, the iconic fixture Clemson players rub prior to running down the hill during the football team’s entrance into Memorial Stadium, was vandalized sometime June 2nd or June 3rd. A small portion of The Rock was broken off of its pedestal after vandals broke the casing that protects the artifact. 

“We take vandalism, especially of such an important part of our history, very seriously,” said Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich. “Police are investigating.” 

There was no damage to the pedestal that supports the rock. 

First Toomer's Trees and now Howard's Rock - YOU PEOPLE PLAY NICE _ !

No comments: