Thursday, November 17, 2011

dinner

 Our pals Jack and Linda called and invited us up to their city townhouse for dinner last night, but with Kiara only here two days , I was not comfy leaving her, so they came down here!
 POT ROAST
and, I found out, that you should use a russet potato in pot roast. I had the gold "butter " potato on hand, so that is what I used, but a baking potato does hold up better to the hours of cooking, and just has a better texture . We learn something new every day.
 Seriously  Southern Green Beans
and
Steamed Cauliflower
Chucked a ham hock , black peppercorns and some onion in a pot of water and boiled away for a while making a sort of broth to cook the beans in. Yes, a nicely flash steamed haricot vert is lovely , but sometimes you need the close to mushy ham taste of the deep South. The other because I ran out of time to make the curried cauliflower I have been making lately, and don't even know if our guests like curry.

A lovely time was had by all!

No comments: