Monday, November 7, 2011

You don't know what you don't know, and that is not really your fault.

( PBS post I ) 
There is a whole world around you, that you , I bet, know very little , if anything about. I certainly did not until I moved to the Rochester area. ASL  - American Sign Language and the world of the deaf. Zero knowledge.. other than the sign person at public events, signing straight forward English to the hearing impaired. Since moving up here and meeting some deaf guys, I have stuck my toe into their world, ever ever so briefly.
ASL is not " signed English ". It is a whole new and different form of language, a paperless form of communication.. think about how hard that is. Nothing written down, nothing , with out film, permanent. I just find it fascinating. It is a most hard language to learn, and then what you do learn is not really what their community uses....

So, what on earth could
  ASL POETRY be ???


deaf Jam Trailer from DeafJamdoc on Vimeo.

I thought this was just a pretty darn amazing documentary, and the young lady just has a spirit about her that was wonderful. Stick this away, come back to it some rainy night/afternoon. Well worth the watch.

No comments: