Friday, October 12, 2012

" MR. - DIXIE, YOU HAVE A BAD CASE OF THE GAYS

Little bitty , teeny tiny pop corn husks stuck in your tooth sort of things  - sand in the bath tub, etc, BUT: The AJC is at it again.

Pride Weekend in Atlanta, brake out the stock drag queen photo

OR!
Maybe this time that is Lady Macbeth!


Something I do not think I have ever done before, A full repost of a blogpost from 
JANUARY 10th 2012


Zipping along doing the reading that all of yall are too busy to do: JMG, HUFFPO, NYT, TLo, newspaper, newspaper etc landing on this mornings AJC.

I'll zoom in
sigh.

I'm guessing that is not Jon Hamm in full , if poor mans, Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence drag. 
The story is the folks at The Advocate have an annual ranking of the " gayest cities in America ". Last year " the GayTL" ranked #1 in the 100% unscientific ,made up poll, this year, it's down to #9. Living where I live , where there are MANY more horses than people, Atlanta comes across at the gay mecca that it is. Happily so. So, nine , one, twenty... I just want everyone to be happy.

The question is who is it, sitting in downtown Atlanta ( is the AJC where it always was, or has it like everything else in Atlanta moved ? ) - drone working on the front  page layout, a lgbt story comes up , and lazy person goes to fabulous, but trite, drag queen?  This is the papers image of lgbt America 2012 ??
really?

 Why not go with Colorado Congressman Jarred Polis and his partner Marlon Reis and their beautiful new baby CJ ?
or Ellen and Portia ? everyone loves them
or the much decorated just retired Air Force Lt.Col 
Victor Fehrenbach ? He looks pretty damn gay to me.

Maybe you were going for something more local, I can understand that. Atlanta story needs some Atlanta gays.
Local and a tad racy, Mr. Atlanta Eagle and Cub, 
this is damn gay!
OR from the exact pride parade that you got your stock drag queen photo : 
My good pal Chip leading his Clemson lgbt alumni group down Peachtree, pretty damn gay AND pretty damn local, this would have been a great shot for your story.
or 
How about the good folks at St. Mark's United Methodist Church, again, right there on Peachtree Street, all rainbowed out and gay as .... well, as gay as anything in the 9th gayest city in America. 

Come on AJC, you can do better.

UPDATE :  I had a very nice email exchange with the lovely writer of the story George Mathis III, who did not ,it turns out, pick the photo, but agreed with me that the photo was not appropriate and will have a word with the person that chose it.


AGAIN, this go round, I have written a couple of notes and very quickly the writer got back to me... my one little one man war against this one FABULOUS drag queen goes on. ( and you have to know  I am kidding about this - I love me some Nun Realness....)

I'll update as my conversation with the writer goes on...

another example of Mr. Dixie's gay problem :

The "Good Morning America" weatherman announced his engagement to his longtime boyfriend Rubem Robierb last week. The New York Times broke the news in a lengthy piece on MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts' wedding.
Champion talked about the upcoming nuptials on Monday's "GMA," and expressedhis thanks for the overwhelming warm wishes from his colleagues and viewers.
His co-hosts including George Stephanopoulos and Robin Roberts tweeted congratulatory messages. ABC News president Ben Sherwood echoed their sentiments.
Romenesko reported that Birmingham's ABC station 33/40 made a similar choice in the 1997 regarding daytime talk show host and comedian, Ellen DeGeneres. The station did not air the episode of DeGeneres' sitcom "Ellen" when her character came out as gay.

No comments: