Saturday, January 25, 2014

Movie Weekend

A very cold winter's Saturday : NOTHING better than snuggling up with Neil and Koda and just going down a movie rabbit hole.


  • American Hustle
  • Captain Phillips
  • Dallas Buyers Club
  • Gravity
  • Her
  • Nebraska
  • Philomena
  • 12 Years a Slave
  • The Wolf of Wall Street *

* I have not seen WOWS, but I won't / don't want too, so crossed it off.

We started yesterday with CAPTAIN PHILLIPS , Which I thought was just ok. I mean the US Navy spend millions of dollars to save this guy, but the owners of the boat could not hire one rent a cop with a pistol?  I'm sure it's all different now, but just seemed silly to me that there was not a single fire arm on the boat.

Then watched a little movie called KEEP THE LIGHTS ON , a 2012 movie that was the darling of Sundance that year. Gay with out being about being gay. Really liked the Danish guy - love can be tough on everyone. I liked it more than Neil, it was sort of edgy and out there...

Today started with DALLAS BUYERS CLUB - which I really knew nothing at all about - sort of knew it was about AIDS but was not sure how. WOW - most impressed, I think it has moved up to my Oscar favorite above Nebraska ( mostly because Nebraska won't win ) Jaw dropping performance from Matthew McConaughey - it is between he and Christian Bale for the body metamorphosis. Jared Leto was excellent in his Golden Globe winning role. Highly recommend this one - painful , heartbreaking subject matter , but well worth it.

Tonight was THE BUTLER - which really, had some great parts to it. Excellent scenes, but just did not add up for me. Why make stupid lazy mistakes in a movie ? The Eisenhower White House in full 2014 battle gear ? surrounded by concrete barriers ? Songs out of place , just little things. I read about the real butler and many years ago LOVED , all but memorized JB West's 1973 memoir " Upstairs at the White House " , so I knew a little ( well a lot ) about the over all topic. The scenes NOT at the WH are much better than those there. It made a trazillion dollars , so if you have not seen it, give it a go - but it did not belong on the above list.

We watched HER last week - I dont think I have reviewed it for y'all. Hmmmm.. Neil liked it more than I did, and it was a very interesting , possible story - where we are going etc - but seemed not to for lack of a better phrase " flesh it out " and in the end I do believe that Scarlett Johansson becomes the Terminator.....

No comments: