Friday, February 7, 2014

Date Night by the Numbers.

2 for one coffee at Starbucks
my " ready for Sochi " look

12 Years a Slave

Winding down our Oscar movie run, this was was greatly anticipated


Complex. Not really a movie that you can like. Impossibly inspiring story in a flawed film. What it made me really want to do is read the original book, and from the little I could find on line last night, the book , obviously, was a more " whole" look at the 12 years. 
Mr.McQueen goes the Mel Gibson route, with LOTS of torture scenes - and there had to be some to convey the horrors of the institution of slavery - but at the same time the innate humanity of the slaves themselves is , and this is only my opinion, mostly seen through the horrible vileness of the slave owners. From what I can tell about the book, which we are going to the HF library this afternoon , goes into much more detail of the day to day lives of the salves. There are just scenes and characters in the film that seem like just time fillers, nothing explained, when I wanted more.
 Very hard to watch at times , and my eyes were covered - but a must see for the Oscar race. I have been a big fan of Chiwetel Ejiofor since the LOLA days, and he was MY choice to be the new Dr. Who.

5 Guys Burgers

my adorable husband
Neil said, taking a hot french fry from a paper bag : " you only take me to the nicest places "

No comments: