Saturday, March 14, 2015

3 • 14 • '15 • 9 •26 • 53

PI(E) DAY


The greatest of all holidays started off with Martha Steward lying to us all!

Pretty much no one on the Facebook agreed with this map of favorite pies. There were cries of " NO SHOO-FLY-PIE ! in Pennsylvania , and folks being adamant that no one in the entire state of Tennessee has ever, not once, eaten a cherry pie. I myself think that at least pecan should be tied with the omni present apple in Georgia. Anyway it was a good conversation starter and got us all into the official PIE DAY mood

I asked the SC BFF what his favorite pie was and he said a LEMON CHESS PIE, which I had never even heard of. Googling I found that either my family or Barrow County is the outlier, because all of the South likes this sort of pie. It is really just a lemon custard pie, with beaten egg whites. I really useful technique to master, because you can do anything at all with it - so my and Neil's Pie Day pie :




LEMON CHESS PIE 

CRUST : The recipe that I used called for a ready made shortbread crust, which is a thing and right there on the sweets aisle with the other graham cracker etc, but I went for the dairy case kind because I like to use my own pan. Jim says that a home made ginger shortbread crust is the ideal way to spice up the pie and is his favorite. My way worked out fine , and I was just a big ole moopah all day long and did not get to the store until late, so I was behind. I will make this again and will go with a shortbread crust.

FILLING : This is a easy pie to make. I would like there to be a little more of the filling, but it is rich - so it is only for the looks of the cut pie that more filling would be nicer.

  • 4 Large Eggs Separated
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar ( not bad for the entire pie )
  • 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
  • 1/2  Lemon Juice
  • Recipe did not call for it , but I added the zest of 1/2 a lemon

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush piecrust with beaten egg white. ( I did not do this - if you do add one more egg white to the ingredients ) Bake 6 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes). I just blind baked according to the package instructions . Get a nice cooked, crispy cooled crust - every how you can.

2. Beat 4 egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.

3. Whisk together 4 egg yolks, sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl until blended ( and zest ). Stir in lemon juice. Fold in egg whites.  Pour mixture into cooled piecrust, and place pie on a baking sheet.

4. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until set, shielding edges with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Remove from oven to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour). I did not do the foil thing, but my crust was not very tall, and I went for 35 min - it looks really runny , not set, when you take it out, but firms up as it cools.

It really is a good pie


We did not let it cool long enough 


Took one to our neighbor as well, she is having family over tomorrow, just with out the cream and little lemon candies.





No comments: