Saturday, October 16, 2010

GAMEDAY BABY !

Georgia v Vandy

Homecoming UGA : Heros of the Hedges.

Today's hero is BIG BAD BRUCE! Otherwise known as UgaVIII.
From the AJC : "With the pomp and circumstance befitting royal succession, Uga VIII, the newest prince in a line of bulldogs that stretches back to 1956, will take his place as monarch of the Bulldog Nation on Saturday afternoon.
Uga VIII -- his registered name is Big Bad Bruce -- is the great-great-great-great-great-grandson of the original Uga and will ascend to the throne in a "collaring" ceremony before kickoff at the University of Georgia's homecoming game against Vanderbilt.During that ceremony University President Michael Adams, athletic director Greg McGarity and Uga's owners, the Seiler family of Savannah, will stride onto the field as the public address system booms with the the story of Uga's lineage.They will remove the traditional collar from Russ, a stand-in called into duty last year when Uga VII died unexpectedly of heart failure. Then they will transfer it to the heir apparent. Both dogs, in their matching red jerseys, will then enjoy the remainder of the game, retiring occasionally to their air conditioned doghouse."
( the rest )


I think we are on tv up here, BUT, I have a luncheon for 50+ tomorrow...... it IS an early kick-off....I'll be updating all day.


11:10 : just checked my current favorite bulldawgblog and the weather in Athens RIGHT NOW, is bright, bright , bright and sunny 56.9 degrees !!!!
1:07 : 10 - 0, not a pretty game, but 10 - 0. Here is a sure sign of how things have changed in the Classic City. B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l Fall day, the kind I used to wish for. I think I have worn a sweater like twice for a day time game in my entire life. SO, it makes this little " tweet " from the AJC that much more odd/sad :  UGA will keep ticket booth open until halftime if necessary, trying to sell remaining tix for today's game and keep sellout streak alive." and then "UGA just sold last ticket to today's game. Sellout streak reaches 61. #UGA"    So, for the first time , that I can remember, you could walk up to the ticket booth ( did you even know we had one ?!?) buy a ticket and walk in.... at HOMECOMING.... 


6:24 : I had to leave at half time. Neil and my mother gave me updates. A nail biter at 43 - 0. My good pal John posted this pic of the new Uga being crowned. ( you know, that if for any reason......)
fuzzy pic.. cell phone and all...

No comments: