Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hi, my name is Ricky and I am a Pisces, I love computers and hot tamales

Ricky Wilson 
 March 19, 1953 – October 12, 1985


Ricky Wilson died 25 years ago, today.
The first time I saw the B-52's "live" was the horrible all pre-recorded WHAMMY tour. The record came out in 1983, but not sure of the date of the concert. It was in the Coliseum and Jimmy's lungs quit working at some point. We had a plastic lobster and a bag of dried butterbeans.
The B-52's were not REM, they hightailed it to the CBGB's/Mud Club scene as soon as Greyhound could get them out of Athens. Now, oddly enough, Jodi's Brumby room mate stumbled into an impromptu show at the original 40 watt, fall of 80.. pre cell phones, but she would not have called us anyway......( she did fall off of a chair while dancing and mess up her shoulder.... )
I've seen the band many times since then, but  I am guessing that the Whammy time was the only one with Ricky.
Susan lived in an apartment that overlooked the churh where they had the funeral. She does not remember watching it , I do. But like I said on the facybook for those reading both, neither one of us could remember where the apartment complex was. She remembers how to get to campus from there, I remember there was an all you could eat restaurant down the road.. 
I also don't remember any mention of AIDS when Ricky died. Ricky died 10 days after Rock Hudson... I wish I had been a blogger back then, would have been interesting to have my memory boosted. ( I have sort of blocked that apt out of my memory, has to do with a pint bottle in my back pocket, that slipper stair case at the Kappa Sig house, and having glass pulled out of my ass.....) 
A JMG reader found this song that Cindy wrote about Ricky, sung in ATL in 2003. No idea why June Carter Cash starts off the video.


youth is wasted on the what?

No comments: