Saturday, June 19, 2010

" what is up with the stupid pancake mix video, Kyle ???? " " I just don't get it".....


Sigh.



Andrew Sullivan posted this on THE DAILY DISH yesterday, and it has gone pretty much viral. I think we are up to six re-posts of it on my facebook page. I can see how to some, a lot, most of you, it makes no sense, at all. Some obnoxious college kid yelling about breakfast food at some Sister Cindy type charterer , at some school, somewhere. Black and white America, or in this case maybe pink and white America. College kid screaming at bible chick is a Rorschach test.

Lets start this off with , how very much anti gay victimhood I am, and that may not make a whole bunch of sense in a few minutes, so you are just going to have to accept it as truth. I do not care if you do not like gay people. It is your right as an American to hate anyone you want. I am not even a big fan of hate crimes. Being charged with beating the crap out of someone really should be enough ( in all but extreme cases ). I think your church has the right to not want gay people in it, I think private clubs, etc, can pick and choose all they want. I think that the bile in your soul with eventually start to rot at you, and hate is hate, be it gay, black, female, Jewish, what ever and that is your right.

THAT SAID:
  • This week, The Bubba and Rick Show, some red neck hootenanny of a radio show that is heard all over the South, went OFF on the President for his June is Gay Pride, letter. They did this on you tube, but have now taken the video private, so I can's show you the out and out hate and ugliness that these guys put out there. I had never even heard of them, and they won't cross my mind again, it was just one example.
  • The TEXAS Taliban . The GOP in Texas has released its 2010 platform, and it is no different that the Taliban or Uganda when in comes to dealing with gays. We should be put in prison, just for being gay, and anyone in the great state of Texas who helps gays a little too much, will also be put in prison. DO READ THIS ONE.
  • This week, the closing arguments were heard in Perry v Schwarzenegger. The Gay Marriage trial in California. We have to fight, tooth and nail for something that Rush Limbaugh gets to do , over and over and over, and over.. you know, all of them under the eyes of God and till death do they part....
  • This week, Cynthia Tucker penned her oped in the Atlanta paper : Legalising gay marriage wouldn't affect traditional marriage. Just read a few of the comments.. fire and brimstone raining down like honey dew vine water....
  • This week, the Governor of Hawaii said she is probably going to veto the states brand new civil unions law, not marriage, just a few basic human rights that, you know, we as nasty gays, just do not deserve. Nor do the straight children of such sinful couplings...
This is all just from five minutes of typing, just off the cuff from things I have read this week, and yes, YES, I read way way way too much on this topic. I sit through a little bit of night time FOX news pretty often, " know your enemy" and all. Most of this is always just white noise to me, to us ( the greater GLBT us ), and with a big ole eat shit grin, I get to let all these lovely people know that my side is winning, but it does build up.
I know my responses to all of this, I have got my Barry Lynn, separation of church and state talking points down. I have read as much Jack Spong as anyone,and can let go with all my "what the Bible really says about homosexuality " fever. I can go verse by verse, and for ever abomination you toss out at me, I can come back at you with your poly cotton blend and your clean shaven , shrimp eating hell bound self. I have the technology, I can take you down..... but it is exhausting, and sometimes, SOMETIMES, yelling back : YOU AIN'T GOT NO PANCAKE MIX, gets the point across , just as well as talking myself blue in the face.
I am sure that this kid was just out having him a College lark, and in no way meant anything deeper by this. Back in my day, the stone age, mocking Sister Cindy and Brother _______ ( I cant remember is name) was a good time on a Tuesday morning. But this little video has struck a cord with a lot of people. In the world of the blind the one eyed man in king, and in the world of the anti gay crazies, sometimes you just need a little crazy back at them.


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Sister Cindy's companion was Brother Jeb. I still fondly recall her tales of being a "wicked DISCO QUEEN" (yes, they came to the UA campus in Fayetteville too).

Have to say I disagree with you re: hate crimes penalty enhancements, tho. It's like this: 1) we take motivation into account in charging and sentencing all the time already - this is why we have capital murder, second-degree murder, and manslaughter - because intent DOES matter. 2) When the motivation behind the crime is based on some characteristic of identity, whether it be race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc., there is an additional dimension to the crime - not only the victim is harmed, but the crime is intended to "send a message" to others who share the identity characteristic for which the victim was targeted, as in burning a cross on someone's lawn - the message is for others to accept second-class status and not "get out of line", the "line" being whatever the bigot behind the crime says it is. It's terrorism, pure and simple.

IMHO, the government very much DOES have not only a reason but also an obligation to make sure that individuals or groups are not allowed to circumscribe the civil rights of other individuals or groups within the society. In a crime motivated by bias, therefore, the state itself is a victim because some individual or group has taken it upon themselves to usurp the state's authority to determine and uphold the civil rights it is sworn to protect for ALL citizens.