Friday, November 20, 2015

Life in a northern town ....

St. John;s in Honeoye Falls swore in their new priest tonight!
Seemingly years since Dahn left, everyone and his Bishop gathered to welcome Virginia to the fold.
A really big crowd, maybe the biggest I have ever seen there - but I did not go, I worked the reception. This photo was a good 30 - 40 min prior to kick off, and already crowded, there was no parking in all of Honeoye Falls - but that was not all the Episcopalian's fault.

I took deviled eggs , with back ups and chicken salad tea sandwiches as one does - and they were GOBBLED. I made 5 dozen eggs and two entire Monk's bread loaves of sandwiches and could have made many more of both. EVERY other person , with the exception of one, who was asked to bring something went to the local market and got a pre made fruit or veggie platter... so there was a lot of that


A very nice cake, decorated to look like one of the stained glass windows in the church
Mary Jo and Jeffery
The one other person who made good food did this wonderful arrangement!


So - it takes a good long while to make someone a Episcopal priest AND give them a church all at one sitting - so we were done plenty early. Two of the folks helping set up said" HEY, lets go over to the turkey raffle at the fire house real quick for a drink". Twist my arm ...
Neil and I dont live in Honeoye Falls, but in its sleepy kid brother, Mendon - so I knew nothing of the joys of the turkey raffle. IT IS A HUGE DEAL there in town, with everyone there. It is a fundraiser for the local firehouse - and they must make a killing. You but a ticket for a dollar, and there are A LOT of , I am guessing , donated turkeys to give away. It is right behind St. John's...


ALL THE FREE BEER, WINE and SHOTS you can drink - plus just all kinds of food, big trays of Ziti and things like that - no tea sandwiches here. But we could not stay long , so back to the reception - which filled up early.
Neil and Jeffery
( y'all know Jeffery, giant baby's daddy )
Dan and Jenny and folks...

This is not a large room really, and it filled to the rim just in a min, so I suggest that a few of us go back across the street for a couple of drinks - just for a min...



See, we are NOT the same person

Got a couple of tickets  - and Dan almost instantly WON A TURKEY!



Which he took back to St. John's and offered it to Rev. Virginia as a Welcome to the Episcopal Church gift! 

( My pal Gina pissed that I left her behind the second time I made a break for the raffle )

I had fun at a St. John's event. That was close to a first - and I mean big fun, free beer and hunky fireman fun. Everyone seemed to have a nice time, even those that did not go to the Firehouse.


No comments: