Sunday, December 27, 2015

MOVIE DAY ( updated )



Posted what we saw but forgot to come back and tell  y'all what I thought about it!


Director Todd Haynes gets the ending that he wanted in in Far From Heaven in his new movie.
Stunningly beautiful lesbians hitting the road towards hopefully happily ever after in 1952 America, all set in a movie that just drips luxury and style, sometimes to a fault. I really liked it, but I am a fan of Mr Haynes, Neil did not hate it, but the slow parts, and they are slow - drove him a little batty.
At one point in the story we actually watch paint dry unironically.

My instant review fighting the Star Wars crowd to leave the theater was, " lesbian BROKEBACK with fantastic clothes instead of sheep" and I stand by that. What I do find amazing is the lack of any brew-ha-ha at all about this sweet little film, when Brokeback Mountain became a cultural behemoth raking in close to 200 million dollars and if I am remembering correctly from 10 years ago the cover of Time. 
This is very close to the same movie - sort of. But just on face value - a same sex couple fighting for a life, or a few minutes of love. Both with big movie stars and both with sex scenes ( I closed my eyes ) with straight actors. " I wish I could leave  you " turned into a  perfect blond hair toss, downing a third extra dry martini while reaching for a Pal Mal.

Why no outrage? Neil says because lesbians are just less taboo - men and all, and goodness knows this is not 2005. But here this lovely little film just sits out there - making no waves at all, and getting the most Golden Globe nominees of any other movie . Have times changed that much?

This will never be a wide market movie - topic and type of film, Artsy capital A - Todd Haynes is in LOVE with languid gazes out rain streaked windows, and part of it are molasses in Winter, but if you are a fan of his work, do go see it.


No comments: