Friday, December 4, 2015

COMPANY FOR LUNCH




I still had this - what I think is a - KABOCHA squash from that time we stopped at the Winter farmstead coming back from Geneva the other week. It was supposed to be a part of Thanksgiving, but I ran out of time. A BUTTERNUT left over from the same trip. I knew we were having company today , and it is a cool grey day - SOUP!
A tablespoonish of butter and a glub of olive oil and a little bit of bacon fat. You could start with a little bacon and render, or just leave out all together, but it added a nice little smokey flavor. add the leek and carrot,  sweat a good long time. Add the roasted squash flesh and garlic, go another minute, add chicken stock to get to the consistency that you want - salt pepper to taste -thats it ( some cream at the end )
If you use the kabocha do not add any spice before tasting your puree.

Such an easy soup to make , cut what ever you have in half - 350ยบ for an hour is. These are very different sizes but cooked at the same time. I totally meant to roast some of the garlic while I was roasting the squash , but forgot..
I have never cooked a kobocha in any way at all - it looks imposing, but this was the best roasted squash/pumpkin that I have ever cooked. It tasted just like the best pumpkin pie ever right out of the oven, no anything. If you make pumpkin pie from scratch try this next time. Put everything in the blender.

I am not in the HOLIDAY mood yet - so festive, but not Yuleish yet.



Roasted Kabocha and Butternut Squash Soup with prosciutto

I was just in the mood to cook today, so 



Not a pretty photo but a lovely lunch!

No comments: