Friday, June 20, 2008

BIG PARTY COUNTDOWN






tick, tick, tick....
It will all be over in like 48 hours, yankees don't ever stay long, or God forbid overnight. Whereas, in my world, one takes luggage to a cocktail party. ( Butler would always! go get breakfast) Also , I was asked a question tonight, that I have never ever been asked before: 
" What do we do with the beer left in the keg? "
I was thrown.
But, We got a lot done in pre party prep tonight, took most of the 400$ garbage pile to a dump FOR FREE, and I mowed the lawn, at least most of it. Then tonight:
  •                                            I BAKED!
No, really, flour and sugar and such things. For those that don't know, I am not at all a good baker. Ill put my cooking skills up against almost anyone, but I am not at all good at measuring and following recipes, at all!  But , I bit the bullet tonight! 
  • OUTRAGEOUS BROWNIES
1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups diced walnut pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.
Melt together the butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not over-bake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.
This was a little bit hard, with lots of steps for me, BUT the batter was over the top good, I just really hope they come out of the pan. I left out the nuts, cause I am making other things with nuts.
  • Graham nutty balls, or Nutty Graham balls, or something about Graham's balls.
This one is per my mother. Pretty darn easy to make , a little bit messy 
"I made the best little desserts for Supper Club last weekend.... :
1 sleeve graham crackers (crushed)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
coconut ( bag of sweetened)
Pecans ( chopped fine)
Mix Graham crackers, milk and 1/4 cup chips and put in baking dish.... layer, coconut, pecans, coconut,pecans.
I used a big handful for each layer.

Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.....let get almost cool,
roll in balls, drizzle with melted chocolate and put in those real little white muffin papers. ( I made my balls a little larger than a nickle - about two or three bites.)

Everyone loved them..."
I think I made mine too big, but we will see... 

2 comments:

TheCrankyProfessor said...

What WOULD you do with leftover beer? I honestly don't know!

Anonymous said...

I made the outrageous brownies once last fall for a family reunion at Black Rock Mtn. Everyone loved them!