Sunday, June 8, 2008

That which does not kill us....



I have put it off as long as I can: HILLARY'S SPEECH.
Losing just sucks, that's pretty much why I chose not to play the game, but, we lost. No ifs, ands or butts about it, we LOST.
The speech itself was fantastic, 100% everything I want my president to be like. "18, 000, 000 cracks in that glass ceiling", but we needed 18,100, 001 cracks.
 She is MY politician. Neil likes to say that he is the third reason I moved to New York. ( Wegmans being second) No question who was first. B. Day and I saw her, years and years ago, I am going to guess 1992, they closed off Five Points in down town Atlanta for a rally with the Gores and just Hillary. She was a rock star, Hillary-mania. I was smitten. I've seen her since, several times.  B.Day and I again, were in LITTLE ROCK in 1996 for Election night. (just a sidebar.. the secret service do NOT have much of a sense of humor.. lesson learned the hard way there...) I've also seen a couple of speeches up here, always wonderful. She is a lightning rod, and if you are not the norm, you " stick out", you need lightning rods to take the heat for you. 
She is MY Senator. The proudest vote I have ever cast was my first: CARTER against ole poopie pants, Ronald Reagan. Voting twice for Hillary to be my Senator are my next two. She has been a wonderful Senator. Working much harder than she had to. New York is an odd place, you don't really have to leave the five boroughs to win, but she all but camped out up here. She has been to Honeoye Falls a couple of times, She has been in meetings with Neil about teaching issues twice. She has been a tireless , hard working , personal public servant. I hope she stays my Senator for a long long time.
I wanted her to be my President, but its just not going to be.
The talking heads on tv and the typing basement dwellers on the web all had a collective hissy when she so vulgarly did not fully prostrate herself before the chosen one on that Tuesday night. But she knew that WE were not ready, we needed those few days. I had been wanting her to win for a short ten-ish years, some of her supports had been waiting for 40. We lose well, more practice than the Obama crowd ( lets give EVERYONE a trophy!  can't hurt any feelings!! ) I thought she said everything she needed to, and then some. Such a Valentine that I figured he had offered her Dick's job there in the Feinstein living room ( USE A COASTER!) but , that was just my initial reaction. Who knows if he will or not. She would appear to be the most talented #2 in the country, but even I will admit, there is some baggage. I don't think any other woman can be asked, and that's too bad.
Plenty of time later to talk about the whys and hows she lost, but for now: how does one do a write in in NY State......


No comments: