Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I still believe in a place called..... Honolulu ?



I loved Bill Clinton.
I loved Bill Clinton like an ice cold diet coke the morning after a night of heavy drinking.
I loved Bill Clinton like Kevin Butler kicking a last second 60 yard field goal to beat Clemson.
I loved Bill Clinton like the Israeli Olympic wrestling team....
He came onto the scene in the early 90's not as a breath of fresh air, but as a Noah's Flood of newness to wash away the vile imperium that had been the Reagan-Bush years. He was to redeem St. Jimmy Carter. He had the  wonderfully trashy mother with the " skunk sitting on top of her head" and the no account rock star wanna be brother with a mullet. Yes, some things went tragically wrong in the Clinton White House, but we are talking 1992 here.
Gay America had just been through a near genocide and he , at the time, said all the right things to console and give us hope that death was not the only option. He had Micheal Stipe on the podium at a rally at the Decatur High School, for crying out loud! I say all this , not to be  disparaging of Hillary Clinton, but to just admit that I do understand the passion of Senator Obama's followers. I just don't get it, but that is fine.
Bill Clinton like all Southerners was from a place, and OF that place. Barack Obama is "new America" not from a place, but from where he moved as an adult. Last night was all about Chicago, not about Honolulu. But that is fine too. He is a fine, wonderful, progressive, liberal candidate. Maybe I am a little envious of the throngs of believers that he has, but there is just nothing there for me to grab hold too, YET! Hey, I still believe in that place called hope , and am Very hopeful that Barack and Michelle can win me over. ( and he does have a bat shit crazy half brother in Kenya.. that always helps)

No comments: