Monday, May 31, 2010

The Big (ger) Picture

" I am hormone driven , acne prone teenager... hear me roar "

OK, I am getting a little bit unhealthily obsessed with this, but : " what is the deal ? " Come on kiddies... sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I posted my little defense of Sex and the City II last night, and thought that might be the end of it, I was wrong. It's not just a movie, it is, as far as I can tell, a slap at all that is holy within American man-hood

There is this site Rotten Tomatoes, that just gathers up all movie reviews from around the world on one page. ( sometimes it's really funny to read UK, Indian or Where ever reviews of very American movies..). Most of the reviewers have little pictures with their by-lines, and yes, most are men. Not really sure why.. but , that's just the way it turns out. 10:30 this lovely Memorial Day morning, and 85% of the reviewers just hate the uber fab four. For just oh so many reasons. Lets dig into one , sort of picked at random, ( I tend to read reviews of papers or sites that I have at least heard of )


Read the entire review there↑, but let's look at just a snippit from it:
" Some bits are excusable: Many male moviegoers will take offense at the sight of hunky men’s penises bulging under Speedos, but how is this female-oriented eye candy any different than, say, Megan Fox letting her breasts do her acting for her in that accursed Transformers sequel? " I'm going to say it, then realizing it's an asshat of a statement, I am going to qualify it. Women are objectified with in an inch of all existence on the screen, but one glimpse of junk bulge is going to turn the hoards of Nascar loving straight men who are flocking to see SATC2 gay?

It is just odd, to me, that so much is being written about this movie. It is like men are just shocked that there are women over 30 in a movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kyle.
I'm a regular reader of TLo & discovered your blog through your interesting comments. On the 1 hand I absolutely agree w/ you about the movie, it's a fun romp w/ characters I really like.
On the other hand--
But there is quite a bit of character assassination going on throughout the films in direct contrast to their characterizations in the series. I think that's what's bothering TLo et al.
Also, I'm getting the impression from TLo & other blogs the double edge sword of what this movie means from a marketing/financial/cultural standpoint.
These characters represent an unprecedented Hollywood franchise-- 4 middle aged "independent" women doing their thing w/out aliens, explosions or car chases or (for the most part) men. & making a ton of money doing it. In Summer. It's never happened before or since. Everyone who has invested in the phenomenon feels a vested interest in the film's direction as a matter of pride & a reflection of their own reason & taste for being a part of its fanbase.
To portray them not being as angst ridden as they were in the series seems like a betrayal to many of the fans who loved the series because they saw themselves in the characters. It's like seeing your goth friend wear pink. And smile.
+, it's all there is as a genre. There isn't another film or franchise like it to turn to if this 1 fails.
Does the movie as opposed to series bother me? Slightly.
But as a TV writer/producer I know what it took to even get these 2 films made (I know Executives 1st hand who hate SJP for being alive-- they have active edicts on any script w/ women as main characters) therefore I understand the obvious sacrifices it took to get it to the screen. I also understand what rides on the success of the film in regards to more films like it getting greenlit. So although I'm a bit disappointed in its quality (the writer in me thinks MPK should've written @ least 2 more drafts of the script), I'm still rooting for it to do well.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Will visit your blog more-- It's lovely.