Thursday, September 22, 2011

jelly bean boom

I do feel fine.



Was just a shock, thats all. The boys are ROLLING in money,R.E.M. was the last American band to sign a HUGE record deal with a major label. In 1996 REM signed an EIGHTY MILLION DOLLAR deal with Warner Bros, at the time the most expensive recording deal ever. No one knew that EVERYTHING was about to change , and that folks were just about to stop buying hard copies of music. Madonna et el, signed touring and merchandise contracts for zillions of dollars. REM signed a straight up, " we will give you X number of records, of what ever we chose "  They no longer live anywhere near each other. East Coast, West Coast, and as far as I know, Atlanta. So, for them, it was time.

You know, I'm lucky, my life , thus far, came with a soundtrack... really, from that very first downbeat of hib -toneness  riding into the sunset going from Athens to Winder, to mowing the lawn last week, REM has been in my head.

I will always have the memory of the night -at some Pylon reunion party- of Michael and I dancing together all night long . ( He was dancing, I was dancing...ergo..)

Breaking it down would just be too hard, too long, too involved. I am one of the diehards that can sing every song ( other than MONSTER, for what ever reason DICKIE went NUTS anytime it was played, so I really have not listened it it all the way through in a very long time, if ever )  I loved the later music .

Many thanks boys and best of luck in what ever you do .

1 comment:

b said...

I am craving a beer-soaked all nighter of listening to R.E.M. with you.

Our favorites are different, as our our reactions to their announcement. But our stories are the same.

We are their biggest fans.