Sunday, April 27, 2008

the "M" word.....


 A very interesting article in todays Sunday Times Magazine: Young Gay Rites, by Benoit Denizet-Lewis. A look at how the right to get married, the right to be " just like every body else" is playing out with some young gay couples in Massachusetts.
 I can not imagine , really, can not wrap my brain around, what it would have been like in my early 20's to just know that the possibility existed . ( and Lord, can you just imagine how freaking many wedding showers there would come out of the  the Delt house!!!) The article does touch on how basic behavior is being changed so very quickly. How young gay men today, are coming out so early that they are having the "normal adolescence " that gays in the past were not allowed to have , at all. I mean , I had my very first relationship at 27 (!) the sort of thing that breeders...errr,.... straight people  ( some of my best friends...) have in middle school.
It was very surprising to both Neil and me, when we got married, how INTENSE the feeling was. Not just the love and all that,( which, you know, was the best....). But the ABILTY to wait in line for our wedding license with people just there to get their moose hunting license, was so very eye opening. To be treated , for me the first time EVER, just like everyone else was, was very powerful, and something that these Massachusetts kids will 100% take for granted.
  Legal marriage, in the end, can ONLY be a good thing. Although stupid and young is stupid and young, no matter who you are being stupid and young with . ( and NOT all 20 something yo gay men look like the uber twinks in the story)
AND: a much more elegant take on the same topic from my much more elegant pal Susan Russell

No comments: