Saturday, January 1, 2011

Money, Money, Money!

 Greens, greens and more greens! For the always fantastic Day-Lawson New Years Day Extravaganza, I  again made the greens. Not knowing if Brenda was going to show up, or who really would be there, I did one pot with meat, and one vegan. The meat were all collards, two BIG bunches plus four of these pre cut bags. I wanted the vegan to be all mustard greens, but they only had one bag left, so half mustard, half turnip ( if I had been thinking I would have bought some turnip root for these! )
 veggies and spices and smoked meats.....most of that chili went into the collards, just a little in the other .
 My pal John said buying the pre cut was not " real collards" so proof that the majority of the pot was me cutting and washing and such! The problem with those pre cut bagged ones is they do NOT take out the stems.. so I really tossed like a third of each bag. BUT, they were buy one get one free at the D'woody Publix.
 Start off with a few black mustard seeds, and cumin seeds in some oil, just fry for a min, add what ever you had. Onion, carrot, garlic, celery, little chili. If I ever do this again, I think I'll add a fennel bulb, that would give good flavor , with no meat and only olive oil for the fat. ( when cooking mustard greens DO NOT forget your good heaping teaspoon of sugar! very important, cuts the bitterness )
 This many greens ....
ends up this many greens.....

1 comment:

b said...

Thank you so much for doing this for all of us! I'm enjoying the leftovers.