Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Truett and the gays.

Come and listen to a story about a man named Truett, a very rich Georgian who fed his nation well, and as the gay blog-o-sphere decided last week, hates the gays.


 This tempest in a tea cup all started in late January, when some Chick-fil-a franchise owner in Pennsylvania gave some chicken sandwiches - ( maybe nuggets, I am not sure ) - and cookies to a meeting of the Pennsylvania Family Institute , a group dedicated to keeping the gays second class citizens. This prompted a college in Indiana to pull Chick-fil-a from its campus. Then the story went all viral.
VERY quickly the CEO of Chick-fil-a Dan Cathy came out with a video saying that " Chick-fil-a welcomes everyone. Very good crises management from the holy rollers there in Atlanta.

This all comes on the heels of the Target dilemma that hit the glbt's last fall. Target gave some funds to someone who in turn gave funds to some very nasty folk, so we were all on edge about this. Growing up in Georgia,living very near where the company was founded and knowing a little bit about the Chick-fil-a's chosen  corporate lifestyle  , I was not at all surprised by this. Who did not know that the working day at CFA starts with a  prayer or that happy happy mellow christian rock plays all over corporate hq, and is the muzak at many restaurants.... They are closed on Sundays for crying out loud, losing all sorts of cash, I am sure... who does not get that they are a deep down CHRISTIAN company.....

Here is the thing.... I do not have a clue who the Wegman's give money too, really. And if Truett wants to give his money to religious organizations, that is his business - free country and all. I am not a big fan of Chick-fil-A, really never ever eat there. They do not have any where I live - deep with in the Godless north and all, but did not eat there in Atlanta either. I can choose to spend my money at his store or not.. but I think it is his business, to give money AND be as Christian as he wants to be. Maybe I am not a good gay... just the way I see it.

I just can not be obsessed over yet another fast food chicken company, my plate is full with the one I deal with already ( I am SO much better than I used to be...) So, If anyone chooses to not eat at CFA because of their values, then don't, but I do not see why anyone would be upset for them making their own PERSONAL choices.... So, if you are a big fan of the very small over priced sandwiches go right ahead and eat them. They do have very good ice, and real styrofoam cups, not paper, and good tea.

No comments: