Sunday, February 20, 2011

Washington D.C. : day one

Ahhhhh, literally a breath of fresh air, as the temps in our nations capitol hit mid 70's... a RARE treat for this snow bound Southern Ontarioian, a happy day spent in and out of museums and just walking around .

 DC in one photo, Business men doing their thing out of the office in the beautiful weather across from a couple of  homeless men, and their grocery cart.
 Morning on America...... 
 I am not really sure that I get ALL these families with  very small kids coming to DC, I get older kids, but not tiny ones. I mean it is a cheap family vacation, all of the Mall is free, but I would think it just duller than dishwater for them...
 As I walked to the Mall this morning, through working DC, I passed several women in .. not burkas, but the floor/street length light black coat, and full head dress. It must drive the GOPers nuts to see these ladies every day. When I was walking by the Washington Monument, there was an Amish ( ?? ) family walking by... all dressed just like the Muslim women.... just a nice comparison. If this picture blows up enough, you can see one of the young daughters in a long bright pink dress and pink Chuck Taylor high tops....

The Smithsonian

I was all excited to see the Hide and Seek exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery .. but it closed on the 13th, so bound and determined to see something different than the American History one, I bee lined for the American Indian Museum.... but,  you have to walk by the History one... AND they were blasting show tunes .... seriously....So, in I went.

One of these days I will re-tell the story of the Moopah's, the First Ladies, the Sydney Herald City Desk Editor, and why the internet was invented.. but for now, lets just look at some dresses...

Just stunning... so much better than it looked on tv or photos. The skirt is just covered in little silver crystal " fireworks" which do not show up .... Michelle is very much the star of this room.



 ( There are captions... if you click )


But, I did make it to the National Museum of the American Indian
A beautiful building, in the summer time the outer walls are a water feature.
Inside dome, very Pantheon done by Frank Lloyd Wright, Neil said it was something native American...This is a wonderful museum. Very modern, very informative, lots to look at, most enjoyable. BUT, it would help if you knew a little more about Native Americans than I did....So, if you ever go.. Look for 1491- for -Dummies or something....
a guy and death... with their manliness....
Just a little quicky photo, that came out really good, the sun broke, just as I took the picture.. sort  of making the Capitol glow...
I walked back to the hotel ( note to self, make sure to click WALKING when using the phone to map your way home... NOT that I did not need the exercise! ) Stood in front and sang " Look for the union label"
SMOKING hot statue guy... 
some labor something.. really, guy on the right is HOT.

No comments: