Monday, May 2, 2011

So long Grady - the day the music died

 ( with lots crappy photos and some cake trauma! )

Grady's last day at St.John's was Sunday, and Neil told me on Friday that I needed to fix breakfast for everyone. The professional that I am, no problem. Went to the happenin' Mendon Meadows Market to order a GOOD LUCK GRADY cake but wanted to pick it up at their sister store The Honeoye Falls Market Place. " No Problem! ", said 16 yo emo bakery employee.
The phone rings at like 7:45 Sunday morning, and the very nice lady told me that the girl filled out the wrong form or something.. and no cake. sigh. Off to the mothership Pittsford Wegmans who always have cakes....
 They even wrote on it for me, we love them, but it put me an hour or so behind.
 It's breakfast for a crowd, what else am I going to make
Sausage and Pepper Strata
Spinach and Mushroom Strata
Grits Casserole
Now lets talk about grits for a minute.

I have lived here for ten long long Winters, and been at this church all of these years, cooking from the get go. This is the only breakfast I know how to do for a lot of people all at once. " What ? an omelet station for these people ? ". Cook your 
goya coarse corn meal in milk and chicken stock, add some cheese, and can or two of rotel. A couple of beaten eggs and it's breakfast. " Grits?", ask the yankees , in the  tone one would ask " goat brains with blood sausage in a dill sauce" . TEN YEARS people, I have been serving you grits. It is corn and cheese.. think of it as nacho puree. There was a bowl of granola beside the grits... one guy, a smart guy, sprinkled it on the grits....
 someone ELSE brought eggs!!!
I had a couple of back up trays, and they ate them all

 I was, even an hour late, ON TIME at 11:00
Dahn stretched it out till like 11:20
 Raspberry Sherbet Punch!
It is church people
 Went all out, made an ice ring with lemons the night before, I love Grady, I was going on all... it melted very fast..
 Someone brought fruit parfaits! Yummy fruit, yogurt, and granola..I was on a budget, tired ole apple broccoli cole slaw from me, so this was a treat

Dan n Grady cut the quickly bought cake.

No comments: