Thursday, August 4, 2016

STATE DINNER FOR HIS EXCELLENCY LEE HSIEN LOONG, Prime Minister of The REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE and MRS. LEE HSIEN LOONG

This one has to start off by me saying that I did not even know Singapore was a state. I thought after the British left that it became a part of China, but that just proves what do I know! So, a STATE DINNER IT IS ( and it was all yellow  )


 POTUS and FLOTUS 
welcome their guests
Michelle in a Naeem Khan dress covered in laser-cut floral appliqués, with matching belt. 
A good time to tell you now that in Singapore culture, yellow symbolizes FRIENDSHIP. Name Kahn is very much a go too for the First Lady.


A first I thought this dress was just a little too twee for the setting - but after looking more, I came around. It is the middle of summer, you are outside on a hot day in Washington DC - if you are going to wear a dress covered in lace sunflowers, this is the place. Playing down everything else, the nude shoe, the only accessories the pop of more color at the ear, and white nails! I like it all. Im going to go with Mrs Lee Hslen Loong and her Birkenstocks just got off the airplane.


THE SETTING




 Not opting for a tent but in the East Room of the White House, which can seat about 200 max
 I think it is beautiful
 Oddly monochromatic for the Obamas, until you see it with the yellow tall center pieces, and the OBAMA china was used which brought in the ocean blue


THE MENU



Salad of local tomatoes, cucumbers, picked green mangos and papaya 
w/ soursop sorbet  and lime basil
Maryland Blue Crab Salad
w/Calamansi Curd, Cripsed Root Vegetables and Spiced Crab Tuille
( which I found out is ground up shells and old bay! )

Salad of local tomatoes, cucumbers, picked green mangos and papaya 
w/ soursop sorbet  and lime basil

American Wagyu Beef and Marrow Crust
w/ roasted yam, wilted kale and heirloom carrots 

Peach Sangria Cake
w/ White House honey brittle


Followed by the petit four and sugar sculpture that they always do.


THE DRESS


From USA Today : Lady Gaga's former stylist-turned-designer just hit a new high: Michelle Obama wore one of his gowns to Tuesday's White House state dinner for the prime minister of Singapore.
Obama chose Brandon Maxwell's ivory column gown for the occasion, a tailored look that was vaguely reminiscent of Gaga's dramatic Oscar red carpet pantsuit (also by Maxwell) from earlier this year. The first lady wore her hair pinned back in a sleek updo, accessorizing simply with Butani diamond earrings and a white manicure.

Walking out , I posted on Facebook that I was just blown away, seemed so perfect for this night.

THEN I decided that I did not care for the bodice all that much, the bands across the top seemed to thick, to heavy  -



and the split back took me a while. But then I realized what exactly the First Lady had done, going to such a new young American designer, a career making moment for sure, and it started to grow on me. Still not one of my favorite State Dinner looks, but I do admire the boldness of the choice.






THE ENTERTAINMENT




Jazz and R&B singer, Chrisette Michele

No comments: