Tuesday, November 24, 2009

O.k..... So, David Geffen did not call.....

The Clinton China



"The President and Mrs. Obama request the pleasure of the company of Mr. _____ at a dinner in honor of His Excellency Dr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of the Republic of India, and Mrs. Gurshran Kaur, to be held at The White House on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 at seven o'clock..........."

From The Washington Post : The Obamas' first state dinner
From the Huffington Post : The Welcoming


Is anyone surprised that I am more than a little bit obsessed with any White House State Dinner? I will go mano-a-mano with the bluest haired Washington doyenne in the " name the White House China Quiz", and ya'll know, that whole past lives thing kicks in when it comes to the sub-continent. Not that I was expecting to be one of the 320 invited, but come on, you invite the richest gay man on the planet, and he does not call me to be his date? Bill is not going, I could have gone with Hillary...I do have a great beat, and I am easy to dance too...

Once upon a time, when C-span got some new small cameras, they broadcast live a few of the opening ceremonies of a couple of Clinton /Bush era dinners. I guess they stopped because the Bush White House stopped . ( George just could not stay up that late, or could not miss Idol or something...)

Speaking of the Idol, Miss Jennifer Hudson is going to be part of the entertainment tonight. The Indian First Lady is a massive Dream Girls fan, but like us all , really prefers Jennifer Holliday. I am guessing that Sasha and Malia had a little input in this.

One of my Dream Girls, Head Chef Cristeta Comerford will be getting a little assist from the most Obama of all chefs, Aquavit NYC's Marcus Samuelsson. This is a huge honor for this young man. Ethiopian born, Swedish raised hot, hot , hot new Chef about town is set to really make his mark. The Indian P.M. and First Lady are vegetarians!, so I am SO, fired up to find out the entree. I would have LOVED it if Mrs. Obama would have gone with an all vegetarian menu, but I guess that would be rude to the rest of the guests.

The tent is set up in the backyard, Mr.Samuelsson , is getting the charcoal ready. Let's just all sit back and watch the show.


If there is any live coverage I will be live blogging. Who is on the guest list? Who will wear what? The china, flowers, seating chart.... the Washington Post usually has wonderful coverage in their style section. Kyle is in high cotton today! Much, much more to come.


( yes, I know that picture is the Kennedy's at their first State Dinner almost half a century ago, but come on, LOOK at that picture, can you same timeless? I could not let it pass...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is serving a vegetarian menu rude to meat-eaters?

Kyle said...

turns out the menu IS pretty much all vegetarian, but you can chose Prawns ...
and not so much rude, but if you had one person coming to your home that was lactose intolerant you would not take ice cream off everyone menu....