Tuesday, February 9, 2010

10 Greatest B-52's songs

B. Day posted THIS on her facebook page.

PASTE Magazine ( not at all sure what Paste Magazine is ) writer Nick Marino's ( again, no idea) top ten B-52' s songs. Beth and I both both had some problems with the list. I am going to give it a shot. Hmmm... " greatest?" Let's just go with my favorites.

I am at 17!... cutting to 10 is not going to be easy.

  • 17 FUNPLEX ( from FUNPLEX ) just for Cindy saying " I'm your daytime waitress at the taco tiki hut, I'm your daytime waitress here's your stupid 7-up"
  • 16 LEGAL TENDER (from Whammy! ) "We're in the basement" ! And Cindy's Yellow Dress
  • 15 Summer of Love (from Bouncing off Satellites) " Orange Popsicles and lemon aid!"
  • 14 Planet Claire ( yellow album) "WELL SHE ISN'T"
  • 13 DEBBIE ( from one of the greatest hits lps) just a fun dance around the house song, about Debbie Harry! "Debbies coming in for a landing!"
  • 12 ROAM ( from Cosmic Thing) Just fun to sing along with....
  • 11 Butter Bean ( from Whammy!) " when you get down to ATHENS Ga, you won't get very far till you hear someone shoutin' out : BUTTERBEAN !" and I do believe it was the song that Jimmy quit breathing too....
  • 10 Juliett of the Spirit ( from Funplex) Just a fun , pretty song...
  • 9 Ain't it a Shame ( from Bouncing off Satellites) The rare slow song, I just love it. And Laura H. Singing, really , really loud " but you look at that color tv, more than me... more than meeeeeee...."
  • 8 Party gone out of Bounds ( red album) and for the last time the lyric is "EWWWW HOUSE-A-TOSIS" Just fun at , well, parties...
  • 7 Give me back my man ( red album) "I'LL GIVE YOU FISH"
  • 6 ROCK LOBSTER ( first single, yellow album) The 45 of this was on the broken juke box at the Delt house, I should have stolen it. Should be higher, yeah, but was just jumping off the bandwagon. ( watch this video .... really) " and I'm Slack Thompson
  • 5 LOVE SHACK ( Cosmic Thing) you know.
  • 4 DRY COUNTY ( Cosmic Thing ) May be the perfect Summertime song.
  • 3 Song for a future Generation ( Whammy!) " Hey, My name is Keith and I'm a Scorpio from Athens, G-A, and I like to find the essence from within.
  • 2 HOT CORNER ( Funplex) come on, it's about WINDER . " I-I-i'm lookin for some fun, waitin' for the bus from WINDER to come..." and also " He's a mess, but he's really pretty..."
  • 1 DEAD BEAT CLUB ( Cosmic thing)



Where to start. Its about Athens, its about Athens in the late 70's early 80's. " Goin' down to Allen's for a 25cent beer... " Dancing in the garden , IN torn sheets, IN the rain. Perfect.

2 comments:

b said...

That Rock Lobster video is too much -- more cowbell, Slack Thompson!

Where was the Downtown Cafe?

b said...

Oh, and Planet Claire is indisputably the best B-52s tune ever. Not even up for debate.