Tuesday, September 2, 2008

gosh, Kyle, why all the outrage?


Everyone hopes I can get through the next few months with out having some sort of cardiac event or my head just blowing plum off. Yeah, me too. 
"really Kyle, why take it so personally, its only politics..."
From the freshly approved Republican Platform:
'Because our children's future is best preserved within the traditional understanding of marriage, we call for a constitutional amendment that fully protects marriage as a union of a man and a woman, so that judges cannot make other arrangements equivalent to it. In the absence of a national amendment, we support the right of the people of the various states to affirm traditional marriage through state initiatives."
My health insurance comes from Neil's school district. Luckily for me , and thank ALL the Gods, we live in an enlightened place that recognizes our marriage. Just like they would any opposite sex couple that got married in the oh so stylish Toronto City Hall. The Republican Party would very much like to BAN the state of New York through a Federal Constitutional Amendment from granting us this benefit. If you do not think that is the case look at what JUST happened in the schools and colleges in the state of Michigan. They had domestic partner benefits until an amendment went thought. Then Republicans in Michigan sued claiming it was unconstitutional for Michigan to give this benefit, and now LOTS of families and even -  precious to the GOP -  little kiddies don't have any, at all.
I am , for the millionth time , so passionate about this because it IS my future. And everyone reading this , who loves me or any other gay person out there needs to think about this as they cast their vote. For many gay Americans, this election really is about life or death, or at least how we are going to get there. 
NOT as important as who de baby daddy be, I know... but I am doing my best to try for some balance here. 

No comments: