Friday, December 12, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like....

Christmas in 1810... not so much...
Christmas in 1890.. drunken Scotsmen! That was some progress.
We went with out pals the McKelveys tonight for our annual trip to Christmas at the Gennesee Valley Museum . It is an architectural museum, Houses and other buildings from all over the Northeast saved from the wrecking ball, and sent there. At Christmas, they do a different tour every year, this one was most interesting.
It did start out in 1810, when many people did not celebrate Christmas, at all.. seeing it as almost an anti religious Holiday. Tonight's tour, sort of followed a story, all the way thought, with some of the same people through the years. A very nice time, a little cold , you are walking around for a while outdoors.. but fun.
Came back here for dinner. I tried to take some pics of our tour, but with no lights really at all there ( 1830 and all...) all I got was snow flakes.
  • Boeuf Bourgogne, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts...
  • cutest dessert ever... creme brulee inside my little Martha Stewart faux Le Creuset pots! Red and Green even... I had never made creme brulee at home before. I assumed ( yes, indeed!) that is was just my custard with the burnt sugar.. not at all, it is a much lighter mixture .. really easy to make and very forgiving. I mixed like three receipts together to get exactly what I wanted , and it came out very nicely. And Neil got to play with a blow torch... win win...






1 comment: