Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Duchess in the White House!



His Orangness, His Highness, The Duchess of the Runway ( as well as Project Runway!) MICHAEL KORS designed The First Lady's dress for her first official White House portrait!
At first glance , I loved the picture. She is such a pretty woman, so very classic. LOVE the Blue Room setting, the flowers, the play with the black and white , the pearls. Love Jefferson in the back, love the focus. Her wonderful smile. It is a beautiful photograph.
Then I had a tiny quandary with Mr. Kors dress. Michelle is going to go sleeveless, get used to it. February in Washington DC and Mrs. Obama was sleeveless at the address to Congress. She works out every day, and is proud of her work . As well as she should be. BUT, I had a smidgen of doubt about the cut of the sleeve, but only for a moment ( crisis averted!!). At first it looked to me to be too " tankish" and not "shift-ish" enough. And then I realized that its Mrs. Obama big ole muscles that make the dress look like that, on a sickly thin Hollywood actress it would look totally different. Her athleticism changes the dress, so it was my fault , for thinking that all dresses should look like runway models, size negative ones.... 
So, I was back to loving it. 

No comments: